Thursday, February 13, 2014

Wednesday in Nanning

Today we visited the Guangxi Provincial Museum. Guangxi has a large number of minorities within its borders. The museum was interesting to learn of the different minorities, their dress, habits, etc. We believe that our Anneli is of the Zhuang minority in China so we especially focused on those exhibits.  We then visited the 

Qingxiu Scenic Area - Longxiang Pagoda

On the top of the mountain stands Longxiang pagoda or Qingshan pagoda which is the symbol of the Qingxiu Mountain. It was first built in the Wanli period (1573-1620) of the Ming Dynasty, but was destroyed by war. It was rebuilt in the mid-1980s and become the highest and largest pagoda in Guangxi. The pagoda retains the architectural style of the Ming Dynasty; inlaid with green bricks and tiles and featuring a 9-tiered octagonal exterior. The three big girls and I walked up about five floors into the pagoda.  It was really cold so we did not go further.

It was very beautiful and peaceful! The open air trolley ride there was really cold! Our time there was a little rushed since we had a time deadline to get to the airport. It is a gorgeous area and would be a fabulous place to visit in mild weather.  Both of these were wonderful homeschool "field trips"! 

We headed back to the hotel just in time to check out and get to the airport for our flight. 

All about Ally Kate! I expressed my true feelings of fear to several of those close to me.  It was scary adopting a child who is almost 9 yo.  I kept thinking what is she does not like us?  What is she does not want to be adopted?  What if she tries to run away?  I am laughing at myself now.  She will NOT let either of us out of her site.  When we are out and she can't see one of us she immediately starts calling Mama or Baba.  I was thinking on the van ride how when a mother gives birth to a child she can immediately know her child's cry in a room full of children.  Yesterday while we were out I kept hearing children calling their Mama's name.  I instinctively knew immediately when Jing Xin was calling me.  Her little voice has already penetrated her momma's spirit.  I know that we may be in the "honeymoon" period and that her behavior may change but she is so sweet.  Today at breakfast she served Mary Bailey noodles first before putting any food on her plate.  We have seen several selfless acts like this from her.  She says "xie xie" when given something. She has wonderful self-care skills.  She brushes her teeth like clockwork without being asked.  She bathes without hesitation.  If Maya cries she asks concerns.  

This is a random post so forgive me.  CLOTHES POLICE! They are still alive and well in China!  When visiting Jing Xin's home on Tuesday I was scolded because she just had on one layer of pants.  They had her go put another pair on.  At dinner one night I was scolded and told that Maya Grace's clothes were too thin for cold weather. At the musuem today I my first experience with a  MAN CLOTHES POLICE.  I had Maya Grace on my back in the Ergo.  Somehow her pant leg had gotten pulled up so the bottom leg was showing.  A man came and started pointing and pulling her pant leg down.  I do not know how Chinese children breathe with all the layers of clothes they are made to walk around wearing.  I can say for certain they will never get cold!

Ally Kate's first flight! Our guide took us to the China Southern counter to check in for our flight.  Ally Kate acted all excited and starting speaking to our guide.  Sarah told us that Ally Kate asked "why is the luggage going away?  Are they stealing it?".  We entered the line for pre-screening to be allowed to enter the security screening area of the airport.  I approached the counter with Maya.  The attendant kept looking at Maya's passport and then at her boarding pass.  She then called someone.  I looked back and saw our angel "SARAH".  She was still standing there making sure we got in ok.  She immediately came over.  Seems that the "r" had been left out of Grace on the boarding pass so they would not let her through.  I had to be pulled aside while one million Chinese people stared at me.  I can only imagine what they were thinking with a white woman with an Asian baby strapped to her back being pulled out of the line. Sarah finally came back with a handwritten "r" inserted on the boarding pass and we were allowed through.  Ally Kate's eyes lit up with excitement when we entered the gate area and she saw the airplane.  I sat beside her on the flight and I only wish I had been allowed to have my phone out to video her expressions when taking off.  Moments like these are priceless with an older child adoption.  When we got off this short flight our Guangzhou guide Helen was waiting for us.  We got to the Garden Hotel and checked in.  This place is fabulous.  Felt somewhat like being back home since we were here for three weeks in Dec. 2012. 

Another interesting bit I left out occurred at the boarding gate.  An Asian man came up to me, looked at the girls and started counting.  He then held up four fingers and said 'four".  I said yes! He started telling me how wonderful we were and how "lucky" the girls are.  Well the most interesting bit about his man is that he is Chinese from Australia and had an Aussie accent!  He was a fun guy to meet. 
An one more random tidbit! When we entered the hotel room Ally Kate started exploring! The bathroom is directly off the bedroom and the tub/shower area is enclosed in glass.  She came excitedly to the guide Helen and said something to the effect of "glass, no good.  Baba will see us take a bath".  Glad to know the sweet girl has been taught modesty! 
Beautiful photo of the Chinese New Year decoration in the Garden Hotel lobby! 

This was an exhausting hurried day so we ate fried rice and went to sleep as soon as we were settled.  Ally Kate and I had to meet the guide at 7:30am the following morning for the clinic visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment