Monday, February 10, 2014

Sunday in Nanning!

This may be a shorter post because I am determined to get caught up with our blogging before we leave for Ally Kate.  The internet at the Majestic is so slow but it is free and we do have internet so not complaining! On Sunday after our breakfast buffet we once again met our guide.  She took us to an outdoor antiques market.  It reminded me of the US version of a flea market.  The majority of items for sale were books, jade, and coins. Please do not judge as I know it is bootleg but it is cold and I did not bring a heavy coat! I found a very thick North Face jacket for a whooping 35 rmbs. In case you do not know that is $6 - $7 US.  It is a great heavy coat! People were grabbing them like crazy. We are very super-sized here - it is a size XXXL which was the only size available! MB was colder than me so she ended up wearing it!  We got even more stares.  We were the only non-Asians that I saw this entire day. People were constantly taking our photos with their cell phones.  People were having fun using their English with us.  We heard many "Hellos" and "How are yous?".  There was a very sweet old lady who I would guess was in her 70s selling jade.  We wanted something to give to Jing Xin on her gotcha day.  We purchased four small jade dragons and the sweet lady added a small jade bead to each and placed them on red cording.  The total for all four necklaces was again a whopping 40 rmbs - $6 US!  She acted so pleased to be able to make them for our girls.  She took her time and it was so sweet watching her work-worn hands as she assembled the necklaces. She kept telling our guide how wonderful we were to adopt Chinese children.  I hate that I failed her get her photo. We truly are the blessed ones! On the walk back there were street vendors! YAY for them! We found ear muffs for Mary Bailey and Anneli, three pair of socks for Mary Bailey (she forgot socks - ugh), six headbands for Jing Xin, and Pleasant Goat clippies for Maya.  Total for all was less than $10US.  My kind of shopping.

Traffic in this place is insane as it is in all of China.  I have a minute video but will not even attempt to add it here.  I will have to Facebook it when we get back to the states.  There is no rhyme or reason to the traffic flow.  I would never attempt to drive any vehicle here! We returned to the hotel and had lunch with our guide.  We found a dumpling shop.  I had beef and carrot dumplings and they were very yummy.  I did not take a photo in here.  There was smoking and it was killing me.  We all five ate here for 86 rmbs - US $14. Adding prices for those who will visiting Nanning too.  We returned to the hotel and rested a bit.  We then ventured back out and found ourselves at the other end of the People's Park! Oh my is that park HUGE!! It is so lush and beautiful.  There was a not so nice by US standards area.  A monkey pit with one monkey.  There were rats running around in their with the monkey.  Grossed this female out! We saw an area with a skating rink. A museum.  A garden which we did not enter as there was an entrance fee.  As we were walking the girls spotted a pigeon feeding area.  The cost to feed them was 10 rmbs less than $2 US to feed them. While the big girls went there I spotted a playground for Maya Grace.  
 We found yet another amusement park area. Mary Bailey wanted to use more of her "lucky" Chinese New Year money to pay for a ride.  She rode a roller coaster in the front seat with her being the only one on the coaster for whole ride. A few random shots from the park.  My big girl loves to pose! 




1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see your gotcha photos! Thank you for the detailed info in your last few posts. It will be extremely useful to me when we travel to Nanning in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete